can a sheriff talk to a minor child without parental consent?

Question by Brad B: can a sheriff talk to a minor child without parental consent?
i contacted the sheriff’s department and notified them that my parents (mainly my dad my mom quit i think) but that they did meth and marijuana and my dad got arrested and mom didnt and she posted bond and he was out the same day he got arrested and after the cops looked in the house and “searched” it and a few days after dad getting home from jail i got my chance to look through the house and there was still glass pipes, and marijuana pipes so i wrote an email to the head sheriff telling him the situation and he fowarded it to the sheriff on the case and the next day a sheriff called to talk to me and we only got to talk for maybe 5 minutes and he was just asking me yes or no questions and he could tell someone was around me (my dad was standing by me) and he said he would call back the next day while my dad was at work and i got off the phone and dad called his lawyer and dad said a sheriff could not have contact with me about an investigation without parental consent and that it
would be considered “here say from a minor child” if i told them anything and that it would not be valid evidence in court and im woundering if my dad is saying that trying to keep me from saying anything or if it’s true i live in tulsa, oklahoma i am 16yrs old please help me if you know any laws even from other states i think they would be some sort of help

Best answer:

Answer by isitdejavu4u2
Yes they can speak to you. You’re the complainant. If you were arrested yourself they wouldn’t be allowed to w/out parental consent. A parent isn’t going to give parental consent to put them in jail. There’s a contradiction there. That would mean you can never make a complaint against a parent until you’re old enough. So how do you protect yourself?

What do you think? Answer below!


  • Ri

    Any law officer can speak to you as an eye witness without parent or lawyer. If they were questioning you as a suspect, then you would be entitled to a lawyer or parental presence.

  • UncleRico

    That’s nonsense. If that were the case, do you think that parents who abuse their kids would ever give them permission to speak to the sheriff?

  • Tom Jr

    How many sheriffs does your town have? Good Lord!

  • mikeysco

    This is so interesting. Outraged mothers have posted this same question on here and people have come out of the woodwork screaming and yelling about how the police can’t talk to a kid without parental permission.

    Then this kid comes along and posts the same question, and it looks like everybody here realizes how ridiculous the notion is that law enforcement shouldn’t be able to talk to a kid without parental permission.

    Don’t buy it, young man. Not for a minute. Your Dad’s “lawyer” is full of garbage, assuming the conversation really took place. You keep doing what you’re doing, as long as it’s safe for you to do it. The marijuana is the least of anyone’s worries (or should be), but if you’re keeping meth out of your parent’s lives (and yours), you’re saving lives.